Baku Energy Forum - SOCAR Turkey reveals its plans for 2017

SOCAR Turkey reveals its plans for 2017


SOCAR Turkey, a subsidiary of Azerbaijan’s state energy giant SOCAR, plans to commission the Petkim wind farm in 2017.

Head of SOCAR Turkey Energy Zaur Gahramanov told Energy Business magazine that the commissioning of the farm, located in Aliaga peninsula in western Turkey, will allow to meet some 12 percent of the Petkim complex’s demand in electricity.

The cost of the project is estimated at €55 million. The wind farm will also become a serious contribution to the development of alternative energy in Turkey. The work on the wind farm’s construction is being conducted by France’s Alstom company.

Speaking about plans for 2017 Gahramanov said they include completion of the second phase of the Petlim container port’s construction, as well as construction and engineering work at the Star refinery.

 The first phase of the $380 million Petlim container port project is already in use, while the second one is planned to be finished in June 2017. The completion of the second stage will allow the terminal to increase its capacity up to 13,000 containers.

Azerbaijan’s SOCAR owns a 70 percent share in the port, while Goldman Sachs has the rest 30 percent stake. Turkish petrochemical complex Petkim and the Dutch APM Terminals inked an agreement for the construction of the Petlim port in March 2013.

Gahramanov also noted that the company plans to start operations within the Trans Anatolian Natural Gas Pipeline (TANAP) project until late 2017.

SOCAR began its activity in Turkey after privatization of Petkim Holding in 2008 and has been operating under brand name of SOCAR Turkey. The company was acquired by SOCAR as a result of a tender of privatization.